Learn to swim Love to swim
About Our Swimming lessons
The Swim Wirral Lesson Programme
The Swim Wirral programme follows the Amateur Swimming Association Learn to Swim Pathway. Swim Wirral is an ASA Affiliated Provider of swimming lessons.
Please note that email is our preferred method of communication through the swimming journey so please ensure that we are given these details as soon as possible.
Learn to Swim Programme
Learning to swim is a milestone for all children – Join us for the journey.
Our Learn to Swim programme offers classes for children of every age, irrespective of their ability and is aligned with Amateur Swimming Association’s award scheme, with eight levels to work through. The programme criteria can take a child who has never been in the water before and guide them through the early stages, up to working with those who can swim but would like to develop strength and technique.
Lessons are offered at all six of our swimming pools 5 days a week with some offering lessons at the weekend too. The programme runs for 42 weeks of the year with children taking part in one 30 minute lesson per week. Lessons are available on various days and times, starting just after school Monday to Friday – making it easy to juggle the after-school diaries!
Contact your local centre or download the centre’s pool timetable for more information.
It is essential that your child is placed into the appropriate class according to their ability. Before they can join the programme, they will undertake a free swimming assessment to determine which class would best suit them. This can be arranged by contacting your nearest Swim Wirral swimming pool or call the Swim Wirral team on 0151 606 2010 opt 2.
- The swimming lesson programme is continuous, with closures during Christmas Break, Spring Break and the Summer Break only.
- Lessons will not take place on Bank Holidays.
- Parents/guardians must notify the team of any issues that may affect the swimmers ability in the water including health or learning issues.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for the supervision of children in all areas of the building prior to, and after the swimming lesson.
- We recommend that swimmers do not eat in the hour prior to the start of the lesson.
- Swimmers must change in the changing rooms and not in any other areas of the leisure facility, including poolside or café areas.
- Swimmers under the age of 8 may use either gender changing rooms when accompanied by a parent / guardian. Swimmers aged 8 or above must use the correct gender changing rooms. Lockers are provided for swimmers belongings. Clothes, bags etc. should not left unattended in the changing rooms.
- Swimmers should wear appropriate swimwear for their lessons. Ideally boys should wear trunks and girls a one piece costumer. Long hair should be tied back or preferably a swimming cap should be used. Swimmers must not wear jewellery during lessons.
- Swimmers should use the shower and toilet prior to the start of each lesson.
- Swimmers must not enter poolside or the lessons waiting area (depending on centre policies) prior to the lesson time.
- Swimming ability and progression will vary for individual swimmers. We strive for consistency within our lesson programme to the set standards within the ASA National Swim programme. Progressing swimmers before they are ready will not benefit swimmers and may affect their confidence and safety, along with the effective delivery of lessons.
- Parents/guardians/spectators can view lessons from designated areas and should not enter poolside at any time.
- Photography and videoing of activities within the leisure facility is not permitted.
- Parents/guardians must notify centre staff of changes to contact details as soon as possible to ensure that we can contact you at short notice.
- Queries regarding the swimming lessons should be made through reception at your swimming pool. Please do not disturb the swimming teachers at any time.
Swim Wirral Top Tips:
Turn up early for lessons and assessments.
Always log on to the homeportal on a weekly basis, to see how your child is progressing.
Take your children swimming once a week to practice the skills they are learning during their lesson.
Swimming Lessons Information
There are two ways you can make payment for swimming lessons.
You can opt to pay a monthly direct debit to secure your place month on month.
You can pay up front for a block of 12 lessons.
Progress, feedback and certificates
We understand you would like regular updates on how your child is progressing. Our online home portal allows you to track your child’s progress through lessons at any time from your own home. Click here to view your child’s progress on the Learn 2 Home Portal
Entry into the Swimming Scheme
To check availability, customers should first contact their local centre
Where there is no immediate availability customers will be offered the opportunity to be added to the waiting list and be offered the choice of which centre(s) waiting list they wish to be added to.
We will fill places from the waiting list as soon as there is availability.
Should it be necessary to cancel a lesson, we will notify you as quickly as possible. Our preferred method of contact will be via email. Please ensure that you have provided us with an up to date email address.
For parents/guardians without an email address, please ensure we have an up to date contact number.
Payment via monthly Direct Debit is available and based on an actual cost per lesson of £5.50 averaged across 12 months, giving a simple monthly payment.
There are two payment dates to choose from, either 1st or 20th of each month.
An initial pro-rata payment will be required for the period between your first lesson and your first Direct Debit payment. This payment can be made in cash or by debit card.
Payment via Direct Debit secures your child’s place on the programme .
Cash or Card payment is available for a block of 12 lessons, which can be topped up at any time prior to the last lesson.
Swimming teachers will be using iPads during lessons. These will be used to take registers, deliver the scheme of work and also to record the assessment and progress of your child.
Information kept on electronic devices is minimal and only sufficient for the teacher’s requirements.
Functionality on these devices has been restricted to prevent unwanted use of other functions on the device.
Emails will be sent to customers (where an email address is available) to inform them:
When a badge has been awarded.
When a child is ready to move into the next stage.
When a top up payment is due (customers paying cash only).
When a child has been booked into a class.
We may also use emails to communicate last minute facility closures or cancellations.
Swim Wirral Home Portal
What is the Home Portal
Home Portal is provided to enable customers to have access to additional information regarding their child’s swimming lessons.
Customers will also be able to move swimmers to the relevant next stage once they have achieved the required standard. An email notification will be sent when this is available. The Home Portal will be updated at the earliest opportunity after your child’s lesson.
Visit the home portal here
Swim Wirral Home Portal
To register for Home Portal, you will need:
- Membership Card ID Number, This is located under card barcode.
- Collect the card from any Leisure Centre.
- Swimmer’s date of birth.
- Swimmer’s registered post code.
- A valid registered email address.
Parents/Guardians can add all their enrolled children onto one account so that only one set of login details are needed. Visit the Home Portal here.
Why Use the Home Portal
Home Portal allows us to give you instant feedback on the swimmer’s progress after every lesson. You can check your child’s progress online at any time and to see any areas where they may be struggling so you can help them to work on those areas outside of lesson time.
Home Portal will also enable you to move your swimmers to their next stage and even change the date and time (subject to availability).
Advice for Parents
Swim Wirral Continuous Assessment
The governing body for swimming lessons, The Amateur Swimming Association (ASA) recommends that children within our programme are examined continuously throughout the Swim Wirral programme. This allows us to:
Provide one continuous course with breaks built in at Christmas, Easter and the summer holiday period.
Offer parents a greater input as to when and where their child’s lesson will take place.
Remove the need to queue at reception for re-enrolment.
Enable children to move stages when they reach their attainment level throughout the course, rather than waiting until the end of each term.
With over 3,000 children on our lesson programme at one time, our preferred method of communication is by email. This will enable us to contact you immediately when:
- Your child has been booked into a class.
- Your child has been awarded an achievement award.
- Your child is ready to move into the next stage.
- Lesson top up payment is due (customers paying in 12 week blocks only).
- We experience last minute swimming lesson cancellations and facility closures.
The Top Up Process
With the introduction of continuous assessment we have removed the need to stand in a queue at the end of each term to rebook your lessons. You can now simply rebook your lessons through TOP UP. This is how it works:
Swimming lessons are purchased in blocks of 12. When your child is at the point where there are 4 lessons remaining, we will notify you, by email, inviting you to top up your lessons at the leisure centre that your child attends.
You will continue to receive email reminders for the next 3 weeks until your block of 12 lessons are completed.
If you have not topped up before the final lesson starts, we will assume that you no longer require your place on the Swim Wirral Programme and your child will be removed.
Registering & Using Homeportal
There are great benefits of registering with Homeportal. Once registered you will able to:
- Ensure you have a place on our lessons programme for as long as is required.*
- Top up your account to guarantee your place.
- Never have to wait at reception to book onto a lesson.
- Monitor your child’s progress and, when your child is ready, move them to the next stage.
- Create one account to include all enrolled children so that only one set of login details are needed.
*This is providing adequate payments are being made to cover the lessons received.
To register you will need:
- Your child’s membership card number, this can be found at the bottom of your child’s membership card starting with “MBW”
- Your child’s date of birth e.g.(01/01/2001)
- Your registered postcode
- A valid email address that matches the one you have registered with us.
Should you have any queries regarding your child’s swimming lessons, we have a friendly and helpful administration team that can talk you through any issues that may arise. You can contact us by email or phone on:
Tel: 0151 606 2010 option 2