SWIMMING LESSONS WITH WIRRAL LEISURE
ABOUT THE SWIM WIRRAL LESSON PROGRAMME
Our Learn to Swim programme offers Swimming Lessons in Wirral for children aged 3+ irrespective of their ability and is delivers Swim England award scheme and has seven levels to achieve.
The programme criteria can take a child who has never been in the water before and guide them through the early stages, up to working with those who can swim but would like to develop strength and technique.
The Swim Wirral programme follows the Swim England Learn to Swim Pathway. Swim Wirral is an ASA approved Provider of swimming lessons.
Lessons are offered at all six of our swimming pools 7 days a week. The programme runs for 42 weeks of the year with children taking part in one 20-30 minute swimming lesson per week. Lessons are available on various days and times, starting just after school Monday to Friday – making it easy to juggle the after-school diaries! We also have a selection of lessons available weekday mornings and weekends.
Where there is no immediate availability customers will be offered an opportunity to be added to the Waiting List for their chosen centre.
The academy is a natural progression upon completion of learn to
swim. It provides the opportunity for swimmers to continue learning
and exploring new aquatic skills that are needed to participate in
competitive swimming, whilst also reinforcing water confidence and
lifesaving skills. There is the opportunity from the Academy for swimmers with ability to progress appropriately to any of the Peninsular
Clubs participating in the swimming development pathway.
For more information, please view our Academy Page
It is essential that your child is placed into the appropriate class according to their ability. Before they can join the programme, they may be required to undertake a free swimming assessment to determine which class would best suit them.
To arrange this please contact our team via
0151 606 2010 (option 2)
SWIMMING LESSON INFORMATION
Please click the headers below for more information:
- The swimming lesson programme is continuous, with closures during Christmas Break, Spring Break and the Summer Break only.
- Lessons will not take place on Bank Holidays.
- Parents/guardians must notify the team of any issues that may affect the swimmers ability in the water including health or learning issues.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for the supervision of children in all areas of the building prior to, and after the swimming lesson.
- Children need to be 3+ to begin lessons.
- Swimmers must change in the changing rooms and not in any other areas of the leisure facility, including poolside or café areas.
- Swimmers under the age of 8 may use either gender changing rooms when accompanied by a parent / guardian. Swimmers aged 8 or above must use the correct gender changing rooms. Lockers are provided for swimmers belongings. Clothes, bags etc. should not left unattended in the changing rooms.
- Swimmers should wear appropriate swimwear for their lessons. Ideally boys should wear trunks and girls a one piece costume. Long hair should be tied back or preferably a swimming cap should be used. Swimmers must not wear jewellery during lessons.
- Swimmers must not enter poolside or the lessons waiting area (depending on centre policies) prior to the lesson time.
- Swimming ability and progression will vary for individual swimmers. We strive for consistency within our lesson programme to the set standards within the Swim England National Swim programme. Progressing swimmers before they are ready will not benefit swimmers and may affect their confidence and safety, along with the effective delivery of lessons.
- Parents/guardians/spectators can view lessons from designated areas and should not enter poolside at any time.
- Photography and videoing of activities within the leisure facility is strictly not permitted.
- Parents/guardians must notify centre staff of changes to contact details as soon as possible to ensure that we can contact you at short notice.
- Queries regarding the swimming lessons should be made through reception at your swimming pool. Please do not disturb the swimming teachers at any time.
The Swim Wirral Programme runs in stages from Little Ducklings (Pre-school), through Stages 1 – 6, leading to the Swim Wirral Academy which covers Stages 7 and above.
View our Academy Page here: Academy
Each Stage of our programme has a list of outcomes that need to be completed in order to gain each award.
For a detailed information on each Stage, please view our Swim Wirral Progress Chart
Direct debit Cost: £20.13 per month
A Block of 12 lessons Cost: £69.00
Swimming Lessons can be paid via a monthly Direct Debit (Either on the 1st or 20th of each month) or purchased by cash or card in blocks of 12.
An initial pro-rata payment will be required for the period between your first lesson and your first Direct Debit payment. This payment can be made in cash or debit card.
If you have paid for a block of 12 lessons, when your child reaches the point where there have 4 lessons remaining, we will notify you, by email, inviting you to top up your lessons either over the phone or next time you are in the leisure centre your child attends.
You will continue to receive email reminders for the next 3 weeks until your block of 12 lessons are complete.
If you have not topped up before the final lesson starts, we will assume that you no longer require your place on the Swim Wirral Programme and your child will be removed.
With over 3,000 children on our lesson programme at one time, our preferred method of communication is by email. This will enable us to contact you immediately when:
- Your child has been booked into a class.
- Your child has been awarded an achievement award.
- Your child is ready to move into the next stage.
- Lesson top up payment is due (customers paying in 12 week blocks only).
- We experience last minute swimming lesson cancellations and facility closures.
Swim Wirral Continuous Assessment
The governing body for swimming lessons, Swim England recommends that children within our programme are examined continuously throughout the Swim Wirral programme. This allows us to:
Provide one continuous course with breaks built in at Christmas, Easter and the summer holiday period.
Offer parents a greater input as to when and where their child’s lesson will take place.
Remove the need to queue at reception for re-enrolment.
Enable children to move stages when they reach their attainment level throughout the course, rather than waiting until the end of each term.
Swimming teachers will be using iPads during lessons. These will be used to take registers, deliver the scheme of work and also to record the assessment and progress of your child.
Information kept on electronic devices is minimal and only sufficient for the teacher’s requirements.
Functionality on these devices has been restricted to prevent unwanted use of other functions on the device.
Should it be necessary to cancel a lesson, we will notify you as quickly as possible. Our preferred method of contact will be via email. Please ensure that you have provided us with an up to date email address.
Holiday Closures 2019/2020
Sunday 22nd December – Sunday 5th January (Inclusive)
Saturday 4th April – Sunday 19th April (Inclusive)
Saturday 21st July – Sunday 6th September (Inclusive)
What is the Home Portal?
Home Portal is provided to enable customers to have access to additional information regarding their child’s swimming lessons.
Customers will also be able to move swimmers to the relevant next stage once they have achieved the required standard. An email notification will be sent when this is available. The Home Portal will be updated at the earliest opportunity after your child’s lesson.
Register, Log In or Visit Home Portal
Having trouble logging in?
Please contact our Swim Wirral Team on
Tel: 0151 606 2010 Option 2
Swim Wirral Home Portal
To register for Home Portal, you will need:
- Your child’s membership card ID number, this can be found at the bottom of the membership card starting with the letters MBW.
- Your child’s date of birth e.g. 01/01/2001
- Swimmer’s registered post code.
- A valid email address that matches the one you have registered with us.
Parents/Guardians can add all their enrolled children onto one account so that only one set of login details are needed. Register, Log In or Visit Home Portal
Why Use the Home Portal
Home Portal allows us to give you instant feedback on the swimmer’s progress after every lesson. You can check your child’s progress online at any time and to see any areas where they may be struggling so you can help them to work on those areas outside of lesson time.
Home Portal will also enable you to:
- Move swimmers to their next stage (subject to availability).
- Ensure you have a place on our lesson programme for as long as is required.
- Never have to wait at reception to book onto a lesson.
- Monitor your child’s progress and, when your child is ready, move them to the next stage.
- Create one account to include all enrolled children so that only one set of log in details are needed.